Monday, July 4, 2011

The last 2 weeks in the Baltics....



Well to say it's been a great trip is an understatement, it's been amazing. I got a couple of 3, 3.5, 4.5 and 5 mile runs in while in Vilnius and Alytus (where conference was) but it's been hard, we've been sightseeing so much and running around, getting runs in has been hard, BUT I've done it and am happy with that.
These countries are beautiful, the day after the conference, Rugile, Saulius and Arimas took us all on a kayaking adventure down a river outside of Alytus, it was a 5 hour kayak trip and it was fun, buggy, and beautiful! I was sore the next day!!!
Rugile's family hosted us twice for dinner at their summer house and that was so much fun, we ate great food, told lots of stories and just had a great time.
On Saturday morning, Erica and Lindsay left and Dad and I drove from Vilnius to Palanga, Lithuania, where we saw the Amber Museum and the Sea. From there we drove to Riga, Latvia and stayed overnight, it's a great city full of history, museums (went to the WWII Occupation Museum, very sad but worth it to see). We ate some Latvian food and drove off to Tallinn, Estonia. That is a great old medieval city but OMG, DO NOT DRIVE THERE!! We had some adventures driving through it (3 times...) and trying to find our hotel. Finally I told Dad to just stop, park and I'd walk into Old Town and find it, that worked better....
So we had a good dinner, walked around the square which was full of street performers and tourists, got some ice cream and went to bed. Woke up and ran almost 4 miles through Old Town, got some breakfast, walked around a bit more and then proceeded to TRY to get out of Tallinn, it took us 90 minutes to go roughly 9 miles, yikes!
From Tallinn we drove 2 hours to Virtsu, Estonia, where we got on the ferry to Muhu Islands! It's truly a beautiful place here, we are staying at Padaste Manor (a simple luxury hotel) on the Baltic Sea, and it's amazing, a great end to our trip. It's so much like Southeast Alaska with more sun, it's crazy.
I'm about to attempt to run 11-12 miles so wish me luck! After I get back, Brady will run the Missoula Half Marathon, then I have my first Tri about 10 days after I arrive back in the States, then two weeks after that is my full marathon! I hope I'm ready, but I wouldn't have traded this trip for anything. If I bonk though, please remind me that I said that........

Happy Training All!

No comments:

Post a Comment